8/06/2010

Translation: The Cry Against... by MERRY

Hello again. This is a translation of MERRY's newest single, The Cry Against. This is their first release after announcing the overhaul of the band's image and sound almost three months ago, so most fans including me have been a bit desperate for it to come out. It is a very aggressive, choppy track lyrically and musically.
The hardest part of this song, as for many Japanese-English lyric translations, was deciding what pronouns to put in when there was no way to leave them out. It sounds like such a tiny thing, but it influences the whole perspective of the song. I especially agonized over the one "we" that I put in. Please feel free to debate me on my decisions; translation is all about knowing all your options, and there are always some you never think of on your own. It seems like the lyrics haven't been posted on any official sites (they are always so slow with visual-kei bands), so I've transcribed them from the lyric booklet after my translation. Romaji too ♫

Song: The Cry Against...
Artist: MERRY

disgusting confusion the ends of the Earth if we’re the dancing freaks…
abilities that violently warp

disgusting a show with the mark of lunacy not dead yet fucki’n baby
a butterfly that barely flies

I saw it as far in as my dreams the world, a mirage I’m begging, just disappear
inside a decayed fish tank, a performance for another dimension swim the fuck around, little migrating fish

disgusting I’ll show you the very top floor of dreams and virtual images
awakenings that get reborn

“Here, the curtain opening on a new world.” “Tonight, fly until you’re ready to faint!”
confusion

shut up

insane flashback closed room another world

Towards the center of the white light let me wake up like that can you hear me? my violently pounding pulse the ideal place that I’ve managed to reach

this place is eternity it’s too vivid the true future I’m here going on living until I disappear one day…

“Here, the curtain opening on a new world.” “Tonight, fly until you’re ready to faint!”

shut up

insane flashback closed room another world

The white light’s…confusion



Japanese Lyrics

disgusting confusion この世の果て 踊るフリークスなら
激しく歪むアビリティー

disgusting キ印show まだ死んでない fucki’n baby
ギリギリ飛ぶバタフライ

夢にまで見た 世界はshinkiro お願いだから消えてくれ
腐った水槽の中で異次元パフォーマンス 泳ぎ回れ回遊魚

disgusting I’ll show you 夢と虚像の最上階
生まれ変わる覚醒

「さあ新しい世界の幕開け」「今夜は気が遠くなるまで飛べ!」
confusion

shut up

insane flashback closed room another world

白い光の中へ そう目覚めさせてくれ 聞こえてるか? 激しく高鳴る鼓動 辿りついた理想の場所

此処は永遠 鮮やか過ぎる 真実の未来 俺は此処で 生きてく いつか消えるまで…

「さあ新しい世界の幕開け」「今夜は気が遠くなるまで飛べ!」

shut up

insane flashback closed room another world

白い光の…confusion



Romaji

disgusting confusion kono yo no hate odoru furiikusu nara
hageshiku yugamu abirite

disgusting kijirushi show mada shindenai fucki’n baby
girigiri tobu batafurai

yume in made mite sekai wa shinkiro onegai dakara kiete kure
kusatta suisou no naka de ijigen pafoomansu oyogi maware kaiyuugyo

disgusting I’ll show you yume to kyozou no saijoukai
umarekawaru kakusei

"saa atarashii sekai no makuake" "konya wa ki ga tooku naru made tobe!"
confusion

shut up

insane flashback closed room another world

shiroi hikari no naka e sou mezamesasete kure kikoeteru ka? hageshiku takanaru kodou tadoritsuita risou no basho

koko wa eien azayaka sugiru shinjitsu no mirai ore wa koko de ikiteku itsuka kieru made...

"saa atarashii sekai no makuake" "konya wa ki ga tooku naru made tobe!"

shut up

insane flashback closed room another world

shiroi hikari no…confusion

1 comment:

  1. First of all, thanks for the clip of the music video that you linked, cause it makes me more easy to understand this song and I could feel their emotion better!
    I felt that this song's lyric is quite disdainful about the realities of life.
    It seems like, this reason causes speaker wants to bring listener to the ideal world.
    So for me, the "we" which made you agonize seems like to be changed as"you".
    Because I think the "you" is a metaphor of "a butterfly", "fish" and the speaker tries to pull out listener from disgusting world.
    So I thik "you're the dancing freaks...", "a butterfly that barely flies" and "swim the fuck around, little migrating fish" seems same meaning.
    Since "you","a butterfly", and "fish" are all couldn't show their original abilities well in the song's insane and disgusting society.

    Anyway Great job~!!
    I think your translation has no problem for showing MERRY's original emotion well~!!
    ^0^~!!

    ReplyDelete